The Enscherange water mill has always been there, or at least for a very long time. Its oldest trace dates back to 1334, and it still exists today.
The region of L'Oesling ( Eislek / Luxembourg Ardennes ) has always been a territory economically linked to agriculture and forestry. It is therefore not surprising to find very old water mills there. The hydrolic force with the animal traction were the only simple methods to grind the grains of wheat (or to create oil, the Luxembourg of the time being home to many oil mills).
The date of 1334 is important for the region: Jean l'Aveugle ( King of Bohemia, Count of Luxembourg, titular King of Poland and "last knight " attributes to Wauthier de Meysenbourg, knight of allegiance to the king, the right of high justice on his estate, which probably extends between Wiltz and Clervaux.
The building as we know it today dates from 1824. The censuses of the time speak of a real apogee of the mills on Luxembourg territory. There were no less than 660 in the early 1800s, including just 115 for the region. One hundred years later, the water mills will be no more than a hundred in the country.
The 19th century is essential for agriculture. The first half is really seen as preparation for industrialization. We are building a lot, and the Enscherange mill is certainly part of this dynamic. Cereal production is also increasing strongly. In 1845, large clearings were organized. They will last ten years and nearly 10% of the total territory of Oesling will be transformed into fields. Luxembourg exports a lot to Belgium, and grain prices remain very high on the various markets.
In 1920, the Racké family bought the mill which would continue to grind wheat daily until 1954. After this, for ten years, the building was transformed into a place of sale for fodder materials (sale of food for livestock ).
It was not until 1967 that Willy Racké, co-owner of the premises and miller, decided to make the water mill accessible to the public and offered to share his passion there . It is today thanks to him and the maintenance brought to the mill that the latter still functions. The mill actually bears his last name. Willy Racké will also explain that the mill was a lifesaver during times of war. It allowed the inhabitants to continue to eat bread and thus avoid famine.
Willy Racké passed away in 2018.
In 2003, the Tourist Center Robbesscheier became the owner of the Rackèsmillen, restored the building to include holiday accommodation in the former miller's house and included a visit to the mill in its educational and tourist programme. The Millefest has also been held every year since then. In August, it celebrates this exceptional building with family events, a small local market and guided tours of the mill.
The recent renovation work started in 2019. The Tourist Center Clervaux had the opportunity to buy the adjoining house Al Molkereï (former dairy), so the Rackèsmillen has been rebuilt. It now houses a holiday cottage, a hotel and a restaurant.